What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is a form of dentistry that helps create positive changes to the teeth and smile by working on the appearance rather than the functionality of the teeth. It can focus on changes in color, position, size, alignment, and shape to improve the overall appearance of the smile.
Different Types of Cosmetic Dentistry
There are many different treatment options to improve the appearance of your smile depending on what is needed:
- Teeth Whitening: This is a common form of cosmetic dentistry. Since teeth are often stained from food, smoking or bad oral hygiene, bleaching can easily enhance the smile.
- Veneers: These can help repair chips and cracks by having composite or porcelain laminates bonded to the surface of the teeth. Sometimes veneers are recommended by your dentist for gaps in teeth.
- Implants: In order to repair tooth loss, an artificial tooth or implant is used.
- Inlays/Onlays: If a tooth has damage from tooth decay or something to do with its structure, an inlay or onlay can be used. These are made out of porcelain or composite materials as a filling. Instead of a traditional filling, an inlay and onlay are created in a lab and then fitted and bonded into the tooth.
- Composite Bonding: If a tooth is chipped, broken or discolored, a composite bonding can be used and applied to the surface of the tooth. It is then shaped, and it is hardened by a high intensity light. The color of the tooth will blend in with the surrounding teeth.
Sometimes, more than one procedure can be used for a complete smile makeover. Typically, your dentist should review your teeth and gums and the supporting bone structure before cosmetic dentistry treatment in order to treat any underlying problems. If you have some concerns about the appearance of your teeth, ask the dentists at Smile Center Silicon Valley’s Cosmetic Services if a cosmetic dentistry procedure is right for you.